Thursday, August 30, 2007

Catch up time!

I'm trying to tidy up and get this all finished by tomorrow. RSS feeds. I know I did a rant in my first blog about them but I'm still finding them difficult. I found a useful article that I eventually managed to download but I can't remember where I got it from. I found that just because there is the little RSS icon beside something it doesn't mean that it works. I found the whole exercise frustrating and the Wee Scottish Lassie will probably give me an F for this one.
Library 2.0 - To me it means a whole new world of information all linked together and searchable from one spot. It will probably change the world of libraries as we know it. Will libraries still have collections as we know them? Will users stop coming to libraries when they can find all they need on the Web? It is up to us to adapt to these new changes and as Rick Anderson said in Away from icebergs, we should not be waiting for the mothership to guide us, we should be finding our own opportunities and going for them. Michael Stephens in Into a new world of librarianship, says librarians will be the "strategic guides" for helping users find information and gather knowledge. All exciting stuff. Instant messaging - I made an account but no one wanted to talk to me!! I can see the usefulness of this but isn't it just a glorified email system? Also, who's got time to "talk" to friends at work? Not me, I'm too bust catching up with my emails! Web.2 awards - I looked at Yelp! which is "a fun and easy way to find, review and talk about what's great and not so great in your area". This was American but I can see it as a useful travel guide. An up to the minute (hopefully) Lonely Planet guide. The whole Web.2 awards site was fascinating - the number of sites out there is mindboggling. Free sites - Excellent selection of stuff on the audiobooks site. With eyesight problems looming downloading audiobooks could be a lifesaver.

No comments: